Monday, April 27, 2009

Jace 32 weeks--an emotional day

JACE ADDISON

Left eye open, right hand in front of right eye, L arm in front

Smushed; R hand in front of face, L eye, nose; looking down

30 week pic; R fist in front of R eye; L eye, nose; L arm in front

R hand (fist) in front of right eye, L profile with L arm in front

Best full face shot (cord/placenta in the way) The black areas are not growths or holes, just due to the pressure from the scanner :)

Just after sucking his L thumb (like his bro); Licking his hand/drinking fluid

I went to the doctor today for my 2 week check-up. It began well with a 4-D ultrasound (a redo as Jace was sleeping with his hands in front of his face on our first attempt 2 weeks ago). Jace was very busy today, but remained moderately shy. He likes to rest with his hands...and a foot...and the umbilical cord in front of his face. Even so, we were able to catch a few good glimpses of the cute little chunk. Full lips and pinchable cheeks! After the ultrasound I walk glowingly down the hall to sit and wait to see the doc. I go and weigh, gaining just 2 pounds since my last visit--very pleased. Blood pressure was good. The doc comes in and asks the usual questions, we engage in mindless chatter for a moment, and then she placed the doppler on my belly to hear Jace's heartbeat and get a rate. She finds it quickly, but pauses after a moment and her expression changes. Then she looks at her watch and continues to listen, deep in concentration. I am becoming concerned. She asks me, "Do you hear that...the skip?" I did, but was hoping it was somehow related to movement. Not the case. Jace was having frequent irregularities in his heartbeat/rate. She tells me I need to go have an ultrasound to check out my fluid levels and make sure there isn't any fluid around the baby's heart. My heart sinks and tears flood my eyes. I nod and try to maintain my composure as I return to the ultrasound waiting room. Scenes of horror fill my thoughts and I am suddenly in constant prayer and dialogue with the Great Physician, pleading for a good outcome. I go back and have the ultrasound. My fluid measured fine, not too little and not too much. Jace's heart appears structurally healthy, but the occasional skip is seen and recorded. We also learn that Jace is measuring about 2 weeks larger than scheduled , weighing in at a whopping 5lb. 3 oz. already--feeling rather thankful to be scheduling a repeat C-section :) The nurse meets me in the hallway and tells me the doc wants to do a non-stress test to make sure Jace isn't in any distress just to be on the safe side. I wait a short time to go have that done. They hook me up and I complete the test and then wait again to have it reviewed by my doc. She tells me everything looks okay and that he doesn't appear to be in any distress at this time. I ask a few questions and then am released to return in 2 weeks for a routine check-up. They will continue to monitor this throughout the remainder of my pregnancy, but feel it is benign in nature and will have no long-term effect. Thankful for the news thus far, but remain a bit anxious and troubled tonight. Please pray for Jace's health and our peace during the remainder of the pregnancy. As you saw above, I included some of the 4-D pics...we think he is pretty cute...and a bit reminiscent of Bear at birth. What do you think! They are going to schedule my section when I go for my next visit in 2 weeks--will keep you posted.

3 comments:

Jenn Knierim said...

sorry you had a rough day but I'm glad Jace is ok. I'll be praying for both of you!

jamie said...

I think he looks like B! That is the first thing I thought when I saw those little pouty lips! So precious! Just remember that God is the healer and he is knitting Jace together perfectly right now! Your job is just to pray and trust! (A lot easier said than done...trust me!)
Love you! J

holly said...

keeper...handsome boy (of course), spy a little "bear" resemblance. always praying, love ya'll.